Free Gender is a black lesbian organisation based in Khayelitsha township of Cape Town. As human rights defenders, we are also gender friendly towards transgender and intersex persons in our community. The organisation was founded in 2008 and have since participated in various protests/ political meetings/ guest talks at academic and public forums. We also supported different stakeholders whose common objectives are relevant to our mandate.
• To develop programmers’ and activities that challenges stigma, exclusion, and discrimination in terms of sexual identities and gender expressions in communities
• To facilitate acceptance, inclusion and representation for LB individuals in public forums.
• To raise awareness in order that LB people are aware of their rights ; informed about tools and resources of redress and can educate peers and broader community.
• Building strong social networks for LB individuals who are evicted from their homes.
• Provide space to bridge gap between parents and LB women.
• To raise awareness around gender issues within Butch and Femme
• To develop capacities capabilities and skills around organizational management and leadership through networking and partnerships with service providers.
To have a community which is non – discriminatory, accepting tolerant where there is a space to be open without being scared and that homosexuality is understood.
To oppose all forms of violence and hate speech and developing a safe space and promoting the safety of LB